- in 2:Machine/Mgmt, 5.Emower Lib Comm, 5.Empower Lib City, All, Areas, Cartoons/Humor, Change Cycles, CITIZEN SCIENCE!, Consumer Corner, Contrarian, Finance/Save, Good Old Days, Hey Anti-Libs!, Individualism, Lib'n Presentation, Liberals!, Libertarian Edge, Open Mgmt, Paradigms!, Privatization, Productivity, Progress/Science, SMILE, Social Stats, STAY VERTICAL!, Topics, Voluntary-type Options
- 1 Comment
How Libertarians Have Helped Change The World
…explained through sounds your teen co-editor mostly never heard…but the result of Lib-driven de-regulation, de-monopolization, and more…http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/106713
…not to mention LIO Fellows who drove many innovations (see http://www.libertarianinternational.org ) from envisioning AI and the PC to developing e-groups…among the problems Libs helped clear away were prohibitions by phone monopolies on what would become attached PC’s or phone innovations, statutes prohibiting self-serve at gas stations, and the end of TV monopolies and the move to more competitive (though still semi-regulated) cable and public access TV… not to be a broken record on the subject, of course.
Libs are now working on issues such as biomedical and cloning deregulation, protection of independent home scientists and learners down to unschoolers, and continued space privatization and exploration….the results will of course be called “ineviotable technical progress thanks to (coerced) government rules and subsidies…
BTW, here are TOP 10 Lib-driven betterments from a survey of Lib leaders in 2000:
- Unified Lib approach with spread of democracy and fall of communism; trend towards transparency, ballot access etc.
- Decline in crime with user-driven involvement and spread of lifestyle tolerance e.g. gay issues
- Move of law towards core rights worldwide e.g. anti-draft, free speech
- Globalization-free immigration and technical advances
- Massive reductions in world tax rates leading to boom; home based options e.g. spread of free and local markets, gold ownership, currency options, stock ownership deregulation…
- Intro and spread of re-privatization with massive betterment in consumer value: choice, quality and price
- Spread of user-driven certification, anti-poverty and learning e.g. home schools
- Trends for household autonomy: anti-eminent domain, pro-personal pensions (e.g. IRA in US), end of postal monopolies (e.g. e-mail, Fedex)
- Spread of peace through citizen power, not militaries e,g, sister-city, democracy movements
- Derail attempts to over-regulate emerging technologies: peer lending instead of foreign aid, space privatization, eco-communities…
(Many thanks to Tonie Nathan for review and suggestions)…
And now the–ARTICLE:
…that some noises could eventually become as extinct as the passenger pigeon? Depending on your age, you or your kids or grandchildren may have only heard some of the following sounds in old movies, if at all.
1. Rotary Dial Telephone
The formerly familiary swooosh as the caller rotated the dial clockwise to the “finger stop” and then the click-click-click as the dial returned counter-clockwise to the start position is now a novelty application that you can install on your iPhones for nostalgic yuks. Adolescents waiting in line nearby will wonder what the heck that sound is, while we older fogies will know you’re poking fun at us and our ancient ways.
2. Manual Typewriter
Manual typewriters had an entire subset of unique sounds that made them immediately identifiable…at one time. The keys clacked loudly as they struck the paper, the carriage lifted up with a distinct clunk when the shift key was employed, and then there was the ping of the bell warning you that you were nearing the end of the line. That meant you had to lift your left hand from the keyboard and swipe at the carriage return lever, which caused a sort of ziiiiip noise as you pushed the carriage back to the starting position.
3. Coffee Percolator
If steampunk had an aural definition, it would be the bloop-hissss of an old school coffee percolator.
4. Flash Cube
The loud rapid-fire click-clack of an Instamatic camera equipped with a flash cube was a common background sound at any social gathering in the 1960s. It was a technological breakthrough to be able to snap off four – count ‘em, four! – photos in rapid succession without having to pause and install a new flash bulb after every shot. Even back then your crunchy granola types were concerned with the amount of waste used flash cubes created, so it became a common holiday craft project to repurpose the used cubes into trendy Christmas tree ornaments.
5. TV Channel Selector
When announcers of yesteryear used to admonish viewers, “Don’t touch that dial!”, they were referring to the channel selector knobs found on TV sets. The standard TV dial went from 2 to 13, and you had to click on each number as you searched for one of the three channels that broadcast in your area. That meant a lot of clunk clunk-ing interspersed with the static-y sound of “snow” on the blank stations. Listen to this old Muntz after it’s first switched on and you’ll hear another antique sound, the soft buzzzz of the picture tube warming up.
6. Record Changer
Record changers allowed you to stack a selection of albums of 45s (seven-inch singles, not guns!) for your longer-term listening pleasure. Each record would make a soft slap sound as it dropped onto the turntable, a series of clicks followed as the remaining records adjusted into place and the tone arm swung over and lowered the needle into the outer grooves of the record. You’d hear the slightest scritch noise as the stylus settled just so into the vinyl and then (finally!) the music began.
7. Gas Station Driveway Bell
Back in the days when all gas stations were full-service, the thin black pneumatic hose that snaked across the pavement was as familiar as the fuel pumps. When vehicles drove over the hose, a loud bell ding-dinged! inside the station, alerting the attendant that he had another customer. You can hear one here and even order one for your home driveway if you really dislike your neighbors.
8. TV Station Sign-Off
Before infomercials were invented, television stations actually went off the air for a few hours each night. Some of us TV-holics experienced physical withdrawal symptoms when we heard the announcer intone, “We now conclude our broadcast day…” around 2AM or so. The format varied little from station to station across the country; first a few technical details were announced (broadcast frequency, physical address of the station, etc.), then a reading of “High Flight” followed by the National Anthem, and then the steady beeeeeeeeeeeeeep tone of the test pattern.
9. Cash Register
Those chunka-chunka push buttons were clumsy, but (unlike the fellow in this video) veteran cashiers could check you out just as fast with these old-style machines as their modern counterparts do with today’s scanners.
10. Film Projector
One of the jobs of the classroom A/V squad captain was to run the film projector on movie days. The rapid tick-tick-tick of the sprockets really was that loud and usually accompanied by shouts of “Turn it up!” and, of course, “Focus!”
11. Broken Record
Remember when you’d beg mom over and over for something and she’d finally yell, “You sound like a broken record!”? She wasn’t referring to pops or hisses, but the repetitive effect that happened when the needle got stuck and played the same few notes over and over and over again… like at the 1:00 mark of this clip:
If you’re not afraid of revealing your true age, let us know how many of these you remember from your past!
Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/106713#ixzz1nrVhMS2m
–brought to you by mental_floss!
48HR Top Reads
- Libertarians! Preppers! 100 FREE Survival, 1st Aid, Military Tips Etc. Books
- FBI Releases Words You Use That May Trigger Investigation: Libertarians, Liberals Facepalm
- * Dr. Timothy Leary...SMILE! and All About Telomeres
- Want to Build A Local Libertarian SMILE Community?
- EZ Milk Carton Container Garden--Great for Contrarian Lib Upside Down Gardens as Well.
- SNOPES.Com--Rumor Control
- The Quasi-Libertarian Playboy Philosophy...
- LIO Fellows, Pro-Libertarians Created the Internet--Not Coercive Government, Which Tries To Tax and Suppress It
- Jefferson Mini-Archism ( And Mini-Archism Defined): The Ward Republic (And Check Out 'Art of Community' and Free RRO)
- Free Lakota, A Libertarian-Direction Bank?
- Und I'm Learning Chinese, Says Wehrner von Braun...
- Urban Farming Is Simple-Plus FREE Stuff
Join millions using Libertarian tools! We're the Official Lifestyle Blog of the LIO Co-editors for Supporters of the Libertarian International Organization & Movement with S.M.I.L.E. and self-empowerment tips and data. Libertarian-based lifestyles & benefits are spreading as Libs help people become free to choose. Most things here were illegal or heavily regulated til Libs got to work.
Get your daily idea, share your link at our Facebook...and look down the sidebars for your daily coupons, top news, and e-petitions to help.
Now live--and spread--Libertopia by enjoying, linking, sharing daily tools with friends!
Opinions are not necessarily those of LIO.
- 89,436 Unique Viewers Since 1/12
- M: Volkswagen continues work on 235 miles per gallon car... po.st/cIPEJO via @omgfacts 4 days ago
- RT @hsu_steve: Scientific publications by country: Click for larger image. bit.ly/Xm71MG 5 days ago
- Beer, Guns, and Baseball: You Should Save Money Right Now teconom.blogspot.com/2012/10/you-sh… 6 days ago
- Atlas Summit Info-- bit.ly/128U6Mj 6 days ago
- L: Lose weight tips many Libs already use-- Begin With Sleep m.aarp.org/food/healthy-e… 6 days ago
- M: Preppers! Should Libs be without one? The Swiss Army knife: At the sharp end of everyday life bbc.com/culture/story/… 6 days ago
Top 30 Tools
LIO COMMUNITY AT WORK>>
- Libertarians Look at S.T.E.M. --or B.A.S.E.? An Opinion
- New LIO Group Head Appointed
- Libertarian International Head: 0% Taxes--& Beyond-- Now
- Arm Grandpas, Teach Youth Non-Coercion, Remove Eco-Problems: Libertarian Gun, Self-Defense, Systems Approach
- What Do Libertarians Do? LIO Friends, @ 3K+, To Have Blog
- High Schoolers: Libertarian President Inevitable, Desirable
- JOIN LIBERTARIAN INSTITUTE, LARGEST SUCH GROUP
- Libertarian Democracy Op Update: 14 Countries Improve
- AS LIO FANS TOP 1 MILLION, SITE CHANGES UNDERWAY
- Gilson Reform Re-Issue, Libertarian Institute Dawns
- To Help Youth Attend China Libertarian-Liberal Conference
- LIO Libertarian 3 C's Slowly Ending Evil of Regulation
- Libertarian Re-Privatization Spreads, Now In All Countries
- LIBERTARIAN ANTI-DEATH PENALTY, -PUNITION GROWS
- 10 Powerful Libertarian Citizen Tools Bring Safer Community
- Libertarian Anti-Draft Movement Increasingly Victorious
- Aslam Effendi Remembered as Afghan, Pakistani Libs Help Target Crime, Conflict Reduction, & Corruption
- OPERATION DIGNITY: As Libertarian Tools Help Crime, Poverty Plummet, Some Experts Claim Bafflement
- Past LIO Advisory Chair:Memoirs, Articles for Coming Years
- LIO: Libertarian Candidate & Public Official Standards
- US: GAO to Investigate Concerns on Mystery Government Weapons
- US, TN & PA: Libertarian Institute Activists For Liquor Privatization
- As LI Libertarians Lead Pot Legality, Right Says Stop Whining
- UK Libertarian Institute Activists Bombard Parliament On Gay Issue
- Gay Unions Status Update 2013-Analysis
- Ireland: Libertarians For Gay Referendum
- NZ Gay Legalization: Now Local Measures Discussed, Parliament Sings
- Uruguay: Libertarian Institute Activists in Gay Marriage Win
- US: Libertarians A-OK That CISPA Web Control Dead
- Ghana: Death Penalty Victory
- Vision:What Your Group Will Look Like
- Budget Review Brainstorm Works
- Community Summit Example
- START & GROW YOUR GROUP–Summary
- 6 Ways to Build Your Libertarian Citizen Community
- Facilitator Group Underway
- Pinellas/Free State Projects 6 Year Status
- Pinellas Project Model Site Upgrades
- 2011: Pinellas Project In Brief
What Readers Know…
- Und I’m Learning Chinese, Says Wehrner von Braun…
- Alert! US Government Loves Your IRA…
- Ayn Rand Told MG To Set This Up
- Want to Build A Local Libertarian SMILE Community?
- Hey IRS! Target www.TheLibertarian.Info!
- End Junk Libertarianism! Use Our Categories. Today? Taxes!
- Manchester England, England…Manchester Liberal That Is…
- Privatized Nukes! Have You Missed Your Libertarian Edge?
- The #1 Tip For Being Successful Is…
- Music Libertarians Will Help See We’re Listening To…In 1000 Years
- Uruguay Libertarians And Their Civic Movement, Party
- *Life Development Thoughts From Dr. Timothy Leary
- LIO Fellows, Pro-Libertarians Created the Internet–Not Coercive Government, Which Tries To Tax and Suppress It
- S.T.E.M. or B.A.S.E.? Libertarians Work to Defend Humanities, Expand Terminology: For New Intellectuals
- Coalition To Extend Life on K St?
- Are They STILL Doing Life Extension Wrong?
- Hey, Mr. Spock! Lew Rockwell Is A Libertarian Who Helps All Live Long & Prosper
- Don’t Complain About The World If You Haven’t Joined Our E-Updates!!
- A 3-D Printer for Every Home?
- Join www.Libertarian-Institute.Info E-Group Now!
- Libertarian Idea of The Month: Open Border Ideas Spread
- Libertarian International Org Alone Defines Libertarianism…vs anti-Lib Nonsense of the Year?
- If you want to succeed, start a company instead of writing a resume
- Use Our Twitter!
- WESTERN VIEW is here!
- Lib Idea of The Month–No April Fool Joke For You: ‘New Intellectual’ Free…
- Have You Linked Us To Your Site, E-Group, E-mail Signature?
- What Do Libertarians Here Know That You Don’t? Top Stories of The Last Year:
- www.TheLibertarian.Info ….Slowly Getting Back to Daily Speed
- The Sayings Of Chairman Jeff…Our Libertarian Idea of the Month
- The Personality Color Quiz
- This Month: Caldo Gallego
- Quasi-Libertarian State Bank Concept Spreads
- Our Libertarian ‘Peer to Peer’ Revolution: Lib Idea of the Month
- www.TheLibertarian.Info Update
- Downsize Your Body! Again.
- Lib Idea of The Month: Growing World Travel This Year…
- Web Video of the Month: Mountain Alternate Currency
- OK, Libertarians: The Assault Rifle They Want To Ban
- 10 Countries That Ban Christmas
- A Healthy Vegetarian Christmas…
- Quiz: How Much Are You Worth To Facebook?
- Exteme Right Wing: Lies on ‘Frivolous Lawsuits’ to Justify Jury Award Caps. Facepalm Award
- Saul Alinski’s Rules
- How Not to Be A Libertarian In Public Office
- Forget Global Warming: Solar Warming May Be Real Danger…SMILE & LIB Idea of the Month
- Libertarians! 10 Interesting At-Home Jobs
- Britain Explained for World Libertarians
- More Indians, Red Chinese Than US Love Free Markets
- Video of the Month: How To Go Back to The Land
- Common Sense, The Rights of Man and Other Essential Writings of Thomas Paine
- Managing Oneself (Harvard Business Review Classics) (Harvard Business Review Classics)
- Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
- The Systems Bible: The Beginner's Guide to Systems Large and Small: Being the Third Edition of Systemantics
- The Psychology of Self-Esteem
- Principles of Efficient Thinking (CD set)
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0
- Games People Play
- How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: A Handbook for Personal Liberty
- Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand
- The Virtue of Selfishness
- Storefront Revolution: Food Co-ops and the Counterculture
- Take Back Your Government: A Practical Handbook for the Private Citizen Who Wants Democracy to Work
- The Global Activists' Manual: Acting Locally to Transform the World
- The Law
- The Voluntary City: Choice, Community, and Civil Society
- Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics
- Capitalism and Freedom
- Libertarianism: A Primer
- $10 Off $25 at Abe’s Market (Natural Products)
- Free eBook: 110 Ideas to Keep Kids Busy without Technology
- McDonald’s: $1 Small McCafé Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothie
- Target Deals 5/20
- Two Free Hungry Girl Quest Protein Bars (Gone)
- Free Traditional Medicinals Organic Tea Sample (First 10,000)
- Gluten-Free Deals on Amazon 5/18
- Fix Your Own Printer
- 12 Free eBooks: 35 Chinese Recipes for Weeknights, The Best Homemade Cleaners, Crepes, and More
- Win a Brasilian Getaway