US GOP Adopts Lib Ideas of Income Tax Abolition
…they apparently still don’t get idea that as tax rates go down, revenues and prosperity increase….why not simply make them voluntary?
A year after Republicans swept into office across the country, many have trained their sights on what has long been a fiscal conservative’s dream: the steep reduction or even outright elimination of state income taxes.
The idea has circulated among academics and think-tank researchers for years. But it’s moving quietly into mainstream political discourse, despite the fact that such sweeping changes would almost certainly mean a total rewiring of tax systems at a time when most states are still struggling in the aftermath of the recession.
“I think there’s going to be more action that way,” especially as Republican governors release their budget plans, said Kim Rueben, an expert on state taxation at the Brookings Urban Tax Policy Center.
Last year, GOP lawmakers in many states quickly went to work on a new conservative agenda: restricting abortion, cracking down on illegal immigration, expanding gun rights and taking aim at public-employee unions.
Emboldened by that success, the party has launched income tax efforts in Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Carolina. But it’s not clear how all those states would make up for the lost revenue, and Rueben said she’s not aware of any state in modern history that has eliminated an income tax.
Nine states already get by without an income tax, mostly by tapping other sources of revenue. Nevada and Florida rely on sales taxes that target the tourism industry. Alaska has taxes on natural resources, and Texas imposes substantial property taxes. The other five states are: New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington and Wyoming.
But in the rest of the country, income taxes pay for bedrock government services, including roads and bridges and schools and prison systems.
In Oklahoma, Republican Gov. Mary Fallin says gradually cutting the top income-tax rate of 5.25 percent will make the state more attractive to businesses, help spur economic growth and ensure Oklahoma is competitive against neighboring states such as Texas. Although the personal income tax does not apply to corporate earnings, supporters say company executives and employees will prefer to live in a state that doesn’t tax personal income.
South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley is pushing this year to consolidate four personal income tax brackets and to phase out corporate income taxes. She promises to seek more tax cuts in the future.
Missouri has a bill to reduce income taxes and offset the lost revenue by raising the cigarette tax.
And Maine’s GOP-controlled Legislature voted last year to lower the income tax from 8.5 to 7.95 percent, taking 70,000 low-income citizens off the income-tax rolls.
Idaho Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter has suggested reducing the individual income tax rate from 7.8 percent to 7.6 percent, the same as the corporate income tax rate, and then gradually lowering both to 7 percent. But business groups have said they would rather get help eliminating the personal property tax businesses pay on their equipment.
In Ohio, Gov. John Kasich’s 2010 campaign included a pledge to phase out the state’s personal income tax, though without a timetable for doing so. Thus far, the state’s fiscal situation has stymied the governor’s efforts to achieve his goal, other than implementing a previously scheduled income tax cut.
As one way to compensate for the lost revenue, the Oklahoma governor and others have suggested eliminating other kinds of tax breaks and incentives, specifically transferrable tax credits offered to certain businesses. But that would still fall woefully short in Oklahoma, where the income tax provides more than one-third of all state spending.
Still, 23 Republicans in the Oklahoma House have signed up as sponsors of a measure to abolish the income tax over the next decade without raising any other taxes.
“Our goal is to transform Oklahoma into the best place to do business, the best place to live, find a quality job, raise a family and retire in all of the United States. Not just better than average, but the very best,” state Rep. Leslie Osborn said.
Lower taxes appeal to many voters, but some wonder how the state could get by if lawmakers abandon a major source of money.
“I personally would favor paying less taxes, but to me, it’s like where are we going to make up the difference?” said Steve Schlegel, a bicycle shop owner in Oklahoma City. “I already feel like government is underfunded at the moment.”
Roger Garner, a letter courier, said he would accept higher property taxes if it meant eliminating the income tax.
“Get rid of it,” Garner said. “Florida doesn’t have it. Texas doesn’t have it. We don’t need it. If something is needed, we can figure out a way to pay for it at the local level.”
Conservatives say the lost revenue will be made up by increased economic activity — more businesses paying corporate taxes and more employees paying property taxes and spending money. But economists warn those predictions are unrealistic.
Without creating an alternative funding system, “it’s clearly irresponsible to propose taking action against the income tax,” said Alan Viard, an economist with the American Enterprise Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based conservative think tank.
Former Oklahoma Treasurer Scott Meacham, a Democrat who helped negotiate a series of small income tax cuts, urged state leaders to be careful tinkering with the state’s economy, which is currently enjoying double-digit revenue growth and has one of the 10 lowest unemployment rates in the country.
“If you look at our state’s economy, it’s doing very well versus virtually any other state, whether they have a state income tax or not,” said Meacham, who is now a member of the board of directors for the State Chamber, an association of Oklahoma business and industry.
Voters, he added, “ought to be very concerned, especially in an election year, when the politicians are telling them they know what’s best for them from an economic standpoint.”
In neighboring Kansas, Republican Gov. Sam Brownback has a sweeping plan to overhaul income taxes that calls for offsetting income tax cuts by canceling a scheduled drop in the sales tax. But it would increase the tax burden for the state’s poorest households. And he faces resistance from within his own party over concern that the sales tax increase was supposed to be a temporary fix back in 2010.
A similar debate is unfolding in Oklahoma, where the plan calls for reducing the income tax from 5.25 percent to 4.75 percent by eliminating the personal exemption for every household member, including children, as well as the child tax credit and earned income tax credit.
An analysis by the Oklahoma Policy Institute shows those steps would raise taxes for 55 percent of Oklahomans, mostly low-income families and those with children.
“We have grave doubts about this proposal,” said David Blatt, director of the institute. “We see stumbling blocks in every direction. You either decimate state services or shift the burden onto those that can least afford it.”
Associated Press writers John Hanna in Topeka, Kan.; Seanna Adcox in Columbia, S.C.; David Lieb in Jefferson City, Mo.; and Glenn Adams in Augusta, Maine; Julie Carr Smyth in Columbus, Ohio; and John Miller in Boise, Idaho, contributed to this report.
Spread Libertopia! Share this:
48HR Top Reads
- Libertarians! Preppers! 100 FREE Survival, 1st Aid, Military Tips Etc. Books
- Moms! 100 Free to Low Tuition Colleges
- FBI Releases Words You Use That May Trigger Investigation: Libertarians, Liberals Facepalm
- Libertarian Idea of The Month: Open Border with Eco/Ethnic Preserves Ideas Spread
- Uruguay Libertarians And Their Civic Movement, Party
- How To Make A Survival Crossbow or Bow -- Quick!
- MINARCHY! 10 Mini-archist Communities Unveiled
- 10 Great, Stress-Free Careers
- More Free Online For-Credit, Emergency Survival Courses
- 13 Movie Theater Tricks
Join millions using Libertarian tools! We're the Official Lifestyle Blog of the LIO Co-editors for Supporters of the Libertarian International Organization & Movement with S.M.I.L.E. and self-empowerment tips and data. Libertarian-based lifestyles & benefits are spreading as Libs help people become free to choose. Most things here were illegal or heavily regulated til Libs got to work.
Get your daily idea, share your link at our Facebook...and look down the sidebars for your daily coupons, top news, and e-petitions to help.
Now live--and spread--Libertopia by enjoying, linking, sharing daily tools with friends!
Opinions are not necessarily those of LIO.
- 93,497 Unique Viewers Since 1/12
- Bulgarian Libs-- bit.ly/18RoUZt 1 day ago
- Libertarians--uh-oh.. New York City Council Moves Against 3D-Printed Guns betabeat.com/?p=89260 via @betabeat 2 days ago
- LIO What will Libertarians do about the last telegram, ha? July 13th: Tha Last Telegram betabeat.com/?p=89365 via @betabeat 2 days ago
- LIO: A free market reaction to Snowden? Codecademy Turns NSA Leak Into Ad for Digital Literacy! betabeat.com/?p=89400 via @betabeat 2 days ago
- I: Hi IQ? LIO wants to hear from you... Turn your SAT Score into an IQ Score p.ost.im/p/eWU3WE #Vocabulary via @SATcomVideo 3 days ago
- I: Bojomoi! Russia's anti-gay bill reflects rising homophobia via @globalpost - globalpost.com/dispatches/glo… 4 days ago
- M: Eminent Domain issues? Nicaragua OKs Chinese-made mega canal via @globalpost - globalpost.com/dispatch/news/… 4 days ago
- I: Book review: Education Free and Compulsory examiner.com/review/book-re… via @examinercom 4 days ago
- L: LIO Life extension at work | Voluntary Governance, Rights, Progress libertarianinternational.org/apps/blog/cate… via @wibiya 4 days ago
- M: Continuing... See our LIO article as well... How 3D Printers Are Reshaping Medicine soa.li/4Ew4zPc 5 days ago
- I: Oops... In Unanimous Vote, Russia Passes Bill Making It Illegal To Tell Kids Gay People Exist thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/russia-poised-… via @gaycivilrights 1 week ago
- Spread Libertopia! Please link to, share our site: twitter.com/LIBIntOrg ...thanks! 1 week ago
- LIO: Libertarians are...? LIO fan base now over 4 MM reflecting country, gender, ethnicity: 1/3rd in China, India; most women, bias to Hi-IQ 1 week ago
- RT @LibertyOpps: Apply today for your spot at Mises University 2013! You'll learn about #AustrianEconomics with @Mises http://t.co/neZlR4D3… 1 week ago
- RT @Econlib: RT @pcmagalhaes: "Shall Europeans elect their President?" Alberto Mingardi in EconLog: bit.ly/11B5RbZ 1 week ago
- RT @lewrockwell: Because There's No Free Market in Organs dld.bz/cEd8m 1 week ago
- RT @artcarden: Ronald Coase, call your office. What has (Local) Government Done to Our Ice Cream?, @amingardi @econlib. http://t.co/YuYciSI… 1 week ago
- RT @Liberationtech: How to secure & encrypt your email & other communications slate.com/blogs/future_t… by @rj_gallagher 1 week ago
- M: TED Blog--some bizarre takes on Libs...do comment: ted.com/search?cat=ss_…+ 1 week ago
Top 30 Tools
LIO COMMUNITY AT WORK>>
- Libertarians Look at S.T.E.M. --or B.A.S.E.? An Opinion
- New LIO Group Head Appointed
- Libertarian International Head: 0% Taxes--& Beyond-- Now
- Arm Grandpas, Teach Youth Non-Coercion, Remove Eco-Problems: Libertarian Gun, Self-Defense, Systems Approach
- What Do Libertarians Do? LIO Friends, @ 3K+, To Have Blog
- High Schoolers: Libertarian President Inevitable, Desirable
- JOIN LIBERTARIAN INSTITUTE, LARGEST SUCH GROUP
- Libertarian Democracy Op Update: 14 Countries Improve
- AS LIO FANS TOP 1 MILLION, SITE CHANGES UNDERWAY
- Gilson Reform Re-Issue, Libertarian Institute Dawns
- To Help Youth Attend China Libertarian-Liberal Conference
- LIO Libertarian 3 C's Slowly Ending Evil of Regulation
- Libertarian Re-Privatization Spreads, Now In All Countries
- LIBERTARIAN ANTI-DEATH PENALTY, -PUNITION GROWS
- 10 Powerful Libertarian Citizen Tools Bring Safer Community
- Libertarian Anti-Draft Movement Increasingly Victorious
- Aslam Effendi Remembered as Afghan, Pakistani Libs Help Target Crime, Conflict Reduction, & Corruption
- OPERATION DIGNITY: As Libertarian Tools Help Crime, Poverty Plummet, Some Experts Claim Bafflement
- Past LIO Advisory Chair:Memoirs, Articles for Coming Years
- LIO: Libertarian Candidate & Public Official Standards
- On Hiatus
- Vermont Medical Marihuana Passed
- US: GAO to Investigate Concerns on Mystery Government Weapons
- US, TN & PA: Libertarian Institute Activists For Liquor Privatization
- As LI Libertarians Lead Pot Legality, Right Says Stop Whining
- UK Libertarian Institute Activists Bombard Parliament On Gay Issue
- Gay Unions Status Update 2013-Analysis
- Ireland: Libertarians For Gay Referendum
- NZ Gay Legalization: Now Local Measures Discussed, Parliament Sings
- Uruguay: Libertarian Institute Activists in Gay Marriage Win
- Vision:What Your Group Will Look Like
- Budget Review Brainstorm Works
- Community Summit Example
- START & GROW YOUR GROUP–Summary
- 6 Ways to Build Your Libertarian Citizen Community
- Facilitator Group Underway
- Pinellas/Free State Projects 6 Year Status
- Pinellas Project Model Site Upgrades
- 2011: Pinellas Project In Brief
What Readers Know…
- Save Money Like A Libertarian!
- 500 Free Military Manuals…
- We’re Changing Our Ways…
- 5 Immortal Animals That Could Be YOU
- The Libertarian Truth on Income?
- Who’s the 1%? American Middle Class.
- Your Anti-Libertarian ( and Anti-Liberal) Award of the Month? Wonkette!
- What Do Libertarians Know That You Don’t? Your Libertarian Edge…
- Und I’m Learning Chinese, Says Wehrner von Braun…
- Alert! US Government Loves Your IRA…
- Ayn Rand Told MG To Set This Up
- Want to Build A Local Libertarian SMILE Community?
- Hey IRS! Target www.TheLibertarian.Info!
- End Junk Libertarianism! Use Our Categories. Today? Taxes!
- Manchester England, England…Manchester Liberal That Is…
- Privatized Nukes! Have You Missed Your Libertarian Edge?
- The #1 Tip For Being Successful Is…
- Music Libertarians Will Help See We’re Listening To…In 1000 Years
- Uruguay Libertarians And Their Civic Movement, Party
- *Life Development Thoughts From Dr. Timothy Leary
- LIO Fellows, Pro-Libertarians Created the Internet–Not Coercive Government, Which Tries To Tax and Suppress It
- S.T.E.M. or B.A.S.E.? Libertarians Work to Defend Humanities, Expand Terminology: For New Intellectuals
- Coalition To Extend Life on K St?
- Are They STILL Doing Life Extension Wrong?
- Hey, Mr. Spock! Lew Rockwell Is A Libertarian Who Helps All Live Long & Prosper
- Don’t Complain About The World If You Haven’t Joined Our E-Updates!!
- A 3-D Printer for Every Home?
- Join www.Libertarian-Institute.Info E-Group Now!
- Libertarian Idea of The Month: Open Border with Eco/Ethnic Preserves Ideas Spread
- Libertarian International Org Alone Defines Libertarianism…vs anti-Lib Nonsense of the Year?
- If you want to succeed, start a company instead of writing a resume
- Use Our Twitter!
- WESTERN VIEW is here!
- Lib Idea of The Month–No April Fool Joke For You: ‘New Intellectual’ Free…
- Have You Linked Us To Your Site, E-Group, E-mail Signature?
- What Do Libertarians Here Know That You Don’t? Top Stories of The Last Year:
- www.TheLibertarian.Info ….Slowly Getting Back to Daily Speed
- The Sayings Of Chairman Jeff…Our Libertarian Idea of the Month
- The Personality Color Quiz
- This Month: Caldo Gallego
- Quasi-Libertarian State Bank Concept Spreads
- Our Libertarian ‘Peer to Peer’ Revolution: Lib Idea of the Month
- www.TheLibertarian.Info Update
- Downsize Your Body! Again.
- Lib Idea of The Month: Growing World Travel This Year…
- Web Video of the Month: Mountain Alternate Currency
- OK, Libertarians: The Assault Rifle They Want To Ban
- 10 Countries That Ban Christmas
- A Healthy Vegetarian Christmas…
- Quiz: How Much Are You Worth To Facebook?
- Common Sense, The Rights of Man and Other Essential Writings of Thomas Paine
- Managing Oneself (Harvard Business Review Classics) (Harvard Business Review Classics)
- Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
- The Systems Bible: The Beginner's Guide to Systems Large and Small: Being the Third Edition of Systemantics
- The Psychology of Self-Esteem
- Principles of Efficient Thinking (CD set)
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0
- Games People Play
- How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: A Handbook for Personal Liberty
- Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand
- The Virtue of Selfishness
- Storefront Revolution: Food Co-ops and the Counterculture
- Take Back Your Government: A Practical Handbook for the Private Citizen Who Wants Democracy to Work
- The Global Activists' Manual: Acting Locally to Transform the World
- The Law
- The Voluntary City: Choice, Community, and Civil Society
- Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics
- Capitalism and Freedom
- Libertarianism: A Primer
- Chili’s: Free Full Size Flatbread Ending Soon
- Salmon Potato Cakes Made from Canned Salmon
- Sprouts Deals Week of 6/19
- Target Deals Week of 6/16
- Free One Year Subscription to Ladies Home Journal
- Jamba Juice: Sixteen Size Smoothie for $2
- 3 Free Music Downloads When You Buy $6+ of Scott® Products at Dollar General
- The Best Free Stuff This Week – Father’s Day Edition
- Boston Market: BOGO BBQ Ribs Meal
- Free Sample of Seventh Generation Hydrating Skin Boosting Serum