- in 2:Machine/Mgmt, ACTIVIST ALERT!, Activist Protest Tools, Activist Tools, All, Anarchism at Work, Areas, Co-op Firms, Community/Co-Housing, Consumer Corner, Crowdsourcing!, Finance/Save, Free Markets, Government 'Failure', Hey Anti-Libs!, Libertarian Edge, Open Mgmt, Open Orgs, Paradigms!, Poverty/Homeless, Privatization, Public Services, SMILE, Tax $ At Play, Tech to Love, Topics, Voluntary-type Options, Yahoo!/e-teams, Your Causes
- Leave a Comment
System: UK Consumers Using Lib Co-Op Tools to Fight Utility Oligopolies, Slash Bills
In user privatization consumers band together, buy en masse, save plenty plus other tactics to spread…http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/join-a-collective-to-force-down-your-energy-bills-6898611.html
A people’s rebellion against the “Big Six” energy suppliers is under way, with fed-up consumers taking action into their own hands in an attempt to win fairer prices.
Tens of thousands of customers are joining new collective energy switching services, which help them to barter for better deals as a large group, rather than as individuals. Others are simply turning to alternative suppliers for their gas and electricity. Thousands have also signed up to the “End the Big Six Energy Fix” campaign launched in The Independent last week.
Pressure is also growing on the Government to offer more help to victims of fuel poverty. It was revealed yesterday that the number of pensioners dying of hypothermia has doubled in the past five years.
In the winter of 2006-7, 950 patients were treated in hospital for hypothermia, according to official figures from the NHS Information Centre. Last winter the figure grew to 1,876. Hypothermia deaths climbed from 135 to 260, while over the same five years average gas prices soared by 40 per cent.
As The Independent revealed on Saturday, the Big Six suppliers – British Gas, EDF, Npower, SSE, ScottishPower, E.on and SSE – are set to announce record profits for 2011 of £15bn – a rise of £2bn in just 12 months.
Consumers are now starting to take matters into their own hands in pursuit of fairer prices. More than 10,000 people a day are joining the Big Switch campaign, launched by the consumer organisation Which? and the pressure group 38 Degrees. The scheme aims to use the collective bargaining power of bill-payers to secure better energy deals.
Richard Lloyd, the executive director of Which? said: “We want people to get their friends and family to involved. The greater the numbers, the stronger our bargaining power will be in our negotiations with the energy companies.”
A similar campaign was launched last month by the not-for-profit company thePeoplesPower. Its founder, Mike Shamash, said: “It’s appalling to see how big the profits of the Big Six are. They are making far too much money and the whole market seems to be tied to them. We reckon anyone using group power through services such as ours or Which? could see savings of £100 or more.”
Anger spilled out into offices of the Big Six companies last month, when activists from the Fuel Poverty Action group campaigned to highlight the increasing numbers of people forced into fuel poverty. They staged a “heat or eat” protest inside a British Gas headquarters in Staines, occupying a room near the office of its managing director, Phil Bentley, for six hours.
One of the smaller energy suppliers, the Co-op, has also accused the Big Six of making it difficult for consumers to escape from expensive tariffs by charging punishing exit penalties. The company’s Nigel Mason said: “Tying people in is a barrier to open competition. We need to be giving people a fair and honest deal, passing on price cuts as fast as we can and helping people manage their energy bills.” The Co-op, which is owned by its customers, has pledged to pay the penalties of householders who switch to it.
The focus is now on EDF, which will announce its 2011 profits on Thursday. Financial analysts are predicting that the company made £3.8bn last year, an increase of 435 per cent over 2010. The Shadow Energy Secretary, Caroline Flint, joined the clamour for change yesterday. “The energy market has to be made to work better for pensioners and other customers,” she said. “Complicated tariffs mean too many are overpaying for gas and electricity.”
Labour wants pensioners aged over 75 to be given the lowest tariffs on offer, and to have that guaranteed by law. “To ensure a fair deal for all consumers, we need to open up the energy companies’ books so people can see for themselves at what price they buy and sell energy,” Ms Flint added.
Gavin Hayes, of the Compass think-tank, which is co-ordinating the End the Big Six Energy Fix campaign, made a fresh call for people to support it. “The energy fat cats want people to do absolutely nothing so they can cash in their windfall bonuses and carry on as if it’s business as usual, while millions suffer in the cold,” he said. “But people have the power stop this.”
Case study: ‘We’re not doing this for a fast buck’
Fed up with massive energy bills, Mike Shamash decided to do something about it. After finding out about a Dutch website which allowed people to sign up for cheaper energy through group bargaining power, he realised the same could be done here.
“I had been looking to set something up in renewable energy,” he said.
“But my son showed me details of the Dutch scheme and I thought it was great.”
He started work on the not-for-profit organisation, thePeoplesPower, and launched the website in January. His aim is simple – to get 10,000 people to sign up and then use their collective power to negotiate better prices.
“We’re not doing this for a fast buck, we’re doing this because we believe in this. However, we’re focused on the green side of things, ” Mr Shamash said.
Power to the people: How to fight back
* You can sign up to support the End the Big Six Energy Fix campaign at http://action.compassonline.org.uk/big6share.
* To sign up for thePeoplesPower, go to www.thepeoplespower.co.uk. The not-for-profit company hopes to be ready to negotiate with energy firms from the beginning of April.
* To sign up for the Big Switch, the new collective switching campaign launched by Which? and 38 Degrees, go to www.whichbigswitch.co.uk before 31 March.
48HR Top Reads
- Libertarians! Preppers! 100 FREE Survival, 1st Aid, Military Tips Etc. Books
- FBI Releases Words You Use That May Trigger Investigation: Libertarians, Liberals Facepalm
- SNOPES.Com--Rumor Control
- 10 Highest Paying (To 100K) 2 - Year Degrees 2012
- EZ Milk Carton Container Garden--Great for Contrarian Lib Upside Down Gardens as Well.
- Want to Build A Local Libertarian SMILE Community?
- 100+ Edible and Medicinal Plants
- Low-Cost Portable Eco-Micro Houses
- Your 1-Acre Self-Sufficient Sanctuary
- End Junk Libertarianism! Use Our Categories. Today? Taxes!
- * Dr. Timothy Leary...SMILE! and All About Telomeres
- Urban Farming Is Simple-Plus FREE Stuff
Join millions using Libertarian tools! We're the Official Lifestyle Blog of the LIO Co-editors for Supporters of the Libertarian International Organization & Movement with S.M.I.L.E. and self-empowerment tips and data. Libertarian-based lifestyles & benefits are spreading as Libs help people become free to choose. Most things here were illegal or heavily regulated til Libs got to work.
Get your daily idea, share your link at our Facebook...and look down the sidebars for your daily coupons, top news, and e-petitions to help.
Now live--and spread--Libertopia by enjoying, linking, sharing daily tools with friends!
Opinions are not necessarily those of LIO.
- 89,500 Unique Viewers Since 1/12
- M: Volkswagen continues work on 235 miles per gallon car... po.st/cIPEJO via @omgfacts 4 days ago
- RT @hsu_steve: Scientific publications by country: Click for larger image. bit.ly/Xm71MG 5 days ago
- Beer, Guns, and Baseball: You Should Save Money Right Now teconom.blogspot.com/2012/10/you-sh… 1 week ago
- Atlas Summit Info-- bit.ly/128U6Mj 1 week ago
- L: Lose weight tips many Libs already use-- Begin With Sleep m.aarp.org/food/healthy-e… 1 week ago
- M: Preppers! Should Libs be without one? The Swiss Army knife: At the sharp end of everyday life bbc.com/culture/story/… 1 week ago
Top 30 Tools
LIO COMMUNITY AT WORK>>
- Libertarians Look at S.T.E.M. --or B.A.S.E.? An Opinion
- New LIO Group Head Appointed
- Libertarian International Head: 0% Taxes--& Beyond-- Now
- Arm Grandpas, Teach Youth Non-Coercion, Remove Eco-Problems: Libertarian Gun, Self-Defense, Systems Approach
- What Do Libertarians Do? LIO Friends, @ 3K+, To Have Blog
- High Schoolers: Libertarian President Inevitable, Desirable
- JOIN LIBERTARIAN INSTITUTE, LARGEST SUCH GROUP
- Libertarian Democracy Op Update: 14 Countries Improve
- AS LIO FANS TOP 1 MILLION, SITE CHANGES UNDERWAY
- Gilson Reform Re-Issue, Libertarian Institute Dawns
- To Help Youth Attend China Libertarian-Liberal Conference
- LIO Libertarian 3 C's Slowly Ending Evil of Regulation
- Libertarian Re-Privatization Spreads, Now In All Countries
- LIBERTARIAN ANTI-DEATH PENALTY, -PUNITION GROWS
- 10 Powerful Libertarian Citizen Tools Bring Safer Community
- Libertarian Anti-Draft Movement Increasingly Victorious
- Aslam Effendi Remembered as Afghan, Pakistani Libs Help Target Crime, Conflict Reduction, & Corruption
- OPERATION DIGNITY: As Libertarian Tools Help Crime, Poverty Plummet, Some Experts Claim Bafflement
- Past LIO Advisory Chair:Memoirs, Articles for Coming Years
- LIO: Libertarian Candidate & Public Official Standards
- US: GAO to Investigate Concerns on Mystery Government Weapons
- US, TN & PA: Libertarian Institute Activists For Liquor Privatization
- As LI Libertarians Lead Pot Legality, Right Says Stop Whining
- UK Libertarian Institute Activists Bombard Parliament On Gay Issue
- Gay Unions Status Update 2013-Analysis
- Ireland: Libertarians For Gay Referendum
- NZ Gay Legalization: Now Local Measures Discussed, Parliament Sings
- Uruguay: Libertarian Institute Activists in Gay Marriage Win
- US: Libertarians A-OK That CISPA Web Control Dead
- Ghana: Death Penalty Victory
- Vision:What Your Group Will Look Like
- Budget Review Brainstorm Works
- Community Summit Example
- START & GROW YOUR GROUP–Summary
- 6 Ways to Build Your Libertarian Citizen Community
- Facilitator Group Underway
- Pinellas/Free State Projects 6 Year Status
- Pinellas Project Model Site Upgrades
- 2011: Pinellas Project In Brief
What Readers Know…
- Und I’m Learning Chinese, Says Wehrner von Braun…
- Alert! US Government Loves Your IRA…
- Ayn Rand Told MG To Set This Up
- Want to Build A Local Libertarian SMILE Community?
- Hey IRS! Target www.TheLibertarian.Info!
- End Junk Libertarianism! Use Our Categories. Today? Taxes!
- Manchester England, England…Manchester Liberal That Is…
- Privatized Nukes! Have You Missed Your Libertarian Edge?
- The #1 Tip For Being Successful Is…
- Music Libertarians Will Help See We’re Listening To…In 1000 Years
- Uruguay Libertarians And Their Civic Movement, Party
- *Life Development Thoughts From Dr. Timothy Leary
- LIO Fellows, Pro-Libertarians Created the Internet–Not Coercive Government, Which Tries To Tax and Suppress It
- S.T.E.M. or B.A.S.E.? Libertarians Work to Defend Humanities, Expand Terminology: For New Intellectuals
- Coalition To Extend Life on K St?
- Are They STILL Doing Life Extension Wrong?
- Hey, Mr. Spock! Lew Rockwell Is A Libertarian Who Helps All Live Long & Prosper
- Don’t Complain About The World If You Haven’t Joined Our E-Updates!!
- A 3-D Printer for Every Home?
- Join www.Libertarian-Institute.Info E-Group Now!
- Libertarian Idea of The Month: Open Border Ideas Spread
- Libertarian International Org Alone Defines Libertarianism…vs anti-Lib Nonsense of the Year?
- If you want to succeed, start a company instead of writing a resume
- Use Our Twitter!
- WESTERN VIEW is here!
- Lib Idea of The Month–No April Fool Joke For You: ‘New Intellectual’ Free…
- Have You Linked Us To Your Site, E-Group, E-mail Signature?
- What Do Libertarians Here Know That You Don’t? Top Stories of The Last Year:
- www.TheLibertarian.Info ….Slowly Getting Back to Daily Speed
- The Sayings Of Chairman Jeff…Our Libertarian Idea of the Month
- The Personality Color Quiz
- This Month: Caldo Gallego
- Quasi-Libertarian State Bank Concept Spreads
- Our Libertarian ‘Peer to Peer’ Revolution: Lib Idea of the Month
- www.TheLibertarian.Info Update
- Downsize Your Body! Again.
- Lib Idea of The Month: Growing World Travel This Year…
- Web Video of the Month: Mountain Alternate Currency
- OK, Libertarians: The Assault Rifle They Want To Ban
- 10 Countries That Ban Christmas
- A Healthy Vegetarian Christmas…
- Quiz: How Much Are You Worth To Facebook?
- Exteme Right Wing: Lies on ‘Frivolous Lawsuits’ to Justify Jury Award Caps. Facepalm Award
- Saul Alinski’s Rules
- How Not to Be A Libertarian In Public Office
- Forget Global Warming: Solar Warming May Be Real Danger…SMILE & LIB Idea of the Month
- Libertarians! 10 Interesting At-Home Jobs
- Britain Explained for World Libertarians
- More Indians, Red Chinese Than US Love Free Markets
- Video of the Month: How To Go Back to The Land
- Common Sense, The Rights of Man and Other Essential Writings of Thomas Paine
- Managing Oneself (Harvard Business Review Classics) (Harvard Business Review Classics)
- Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
- The Systems Bible: The Beginner's Guide to Systems Large and Small: Being the Third Edition of Systemantics
- The Psychology of Self-Esteem
- Principles of Efficient Thinking (CD set)
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0
- Games People Play
- How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: A Handbook for Personal Liberty
- Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand
- The Virtue of Selfishness
- Storefront Revolution: Food Co-ops and the Counterculture
- Take Back Your Government: A Practical Handbook for the Private Citizen Who Wants Democracy to Work
- The Global Activists' Manual: Acting Locally to Transform the World
- The Law
- The Voluntary City: Choice, Community, and Civil Society
- Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics
- Capitalism and Freedom
- Libertarianism: A Primer
- Free Sandy Wipes Sample
- Free Origins GinZing Moisturizer Sample
- Hello Kitty Kitchen Appliance Sale at Zulily
- Join Costco or Upgrade Your Membership with $50 of Freebies and Coupons
- $10 Off $25 at Abe’s Market (Natural Products)
- Free eBook: 110 Ideas to Keep Kids Busy without Technology
- McDonald’s: $1 Small McCafé Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothie
- Target Deals 5/20
- Two Free Hungry Girl Quest Protein Bars (Gone)
- Free Traditional Medicinals Organic Tea Sample (First 10,000)