Systems: Immigration–Not What Many Think
“…Frustrated with Immigrants? Just Wait until They Leave
by Fergus Hodgson, <!– put date below, before tag –>December 20, 2011… The enforcement of laws against illegal immigrants remains a bone of contention between states and the federal government (and on the GOP presidential campaign trail), and the U.S. Supreme Court has now agreed to weigh in on the issue. There is, however, an irony to this battle that appears to be lost on deportation proponents: many people are already leaving voluntarily or choosing not to come…That’s right, for the first time in sixty years, net illegal migration from Mexico has gone to zero; it may even have tipped into the negatives. Approximately six out of ten illegal immigrants in the United States originate from Mexico, but in just the past three years apprehensions along the southern border have fallen by 53 percent. In fact, the Pew Hispanic Center puts the current number of illegal immigrants at 11.2 million, down from a peak of 12 million in 2007.
A further testament to the reversal is that the demographics of illegal residents are changing. Just 15 percent of today’s illegal residents arrived within the last 5 years, for example; it was 32 percent in 2000.
And it’s not only illegal immigrants eyeing distant lands. The Census Bureau’s net international-migration measure has been trending downward since 2000 (PDF, p. 17). Even if the accuracy of that data may be questionable, anecdotes abound of immigrant communities packing up shop and heading home. The Atlantic magazine went so far as to call this trend “The End of Chinatown.”
As fewer immigrants come, legal or otherwise, and more return home, two grains of truth become apparent for those willing to observe. First, immigration is not the cause of America’s problems, so its reversal will do nothing to restore economic prosperity or individual liberty. Second, America is no longer the shining city on a hill that many people revere. It is becoming less free and prosperous at an alarming rate, and the changing immigration flows reflect that.
Fears about immigrants
One leading fear regarding immigrants is that they tend to replace domestic workers. This, of course, assumes individuals born in a certain location or holding certain government-granted privileges are more valuable than other individuals. However, if we put aside the nativism, a recent incident in Asheville, North Carolina, shows that this fear is unfounded.
To comply with the E-Verify program and avoid legal charges, a wholesaler of flowers fired more than 60 illegal immigrants in 2009. Two years later, despite 8 percent unemployment in the county and higher than 10 percent unemployment in the state, the owner has been unable to find replacements. “Those who want to work fail to pass E-Verify, and those that pass fail to work,” he explained.
The work ethic of these immigrants, and their willingness to accept menial labor rather than pursue welfare (PDF, p. 5), puts many native-born Americans to shame.
Okay, but perhaps their departure will require employers to pay better wages to attract locals. That does make some economic sense, but as the warehouse owner points out, “Without comprehensive immigration reform, [verification requirements are] going to kill agriculture.” In other words, some ventures are simply not viable at a higher cost of labor.
And, as Bryan Caplan of George Mason University has noted, “Immigration has little or no effect on overall wages. Educated Americans are primarily customers, not competitors, of new arrivals.” So pushing foreigners out in the hopes of increasing the employment of native-born Americans is a fool’s errand.
What about crime then — shouldn’t that be subsiding as the number of immigrants decreases? Perhaps this will be surprising to some, but evidence suggests that immigrants commit fewer crimes than native-born Americans. Even the Center for Immigration Studies, which actively seeks to reduce immigration into the United States, admitted that they “found no strong evidence one way or the other for the notion that immigrants commit either more or less crime than the American population.”
Why is immigration falling?
The sad part of this story is that people are leaving (or not coming in the first place) because the American dream is on the way out. Migration follows economic freedom, and the United States is no longer the freest nation on earth — far from it. In fact, according to the Fraser Institute ranking, the United States has less economic freedom than Canada and the United Kingdom; and it fell four places, from the sixth to the tenth position, in the latest ranking (based on 2009 data; PDF).
“Much of this decline is a result of higher spending and borrowing on the part of the U.S. government, and lower scores for legal structure and property rights,” the release notes. Of course the many trillions of official debts and unfunded liabilities are hardly enticing to would-be immigrants or Americans. Who would want to be stuck with that tab?
Spread Libertopia! Share this:
48HR Top Reads
- Libertarians! Preppers! 100 FREE Survival, 1st Aid, Military Tips Etc. Books
- Moms! 100 Free to Low Tuition Colleges
- Libertarian Idea of The Month: Open Border with Eco/Ethnic Preserves Ideas Spread
- 10 Great, Stress-Free Careers
- FBI Releases Words You Use That May Trigger Investigation: Libertarians, Liberals Facepalm
- EZ Milk Carton Container Garden--Great for Contrarian Lib Upside Down Gardens as Well.
- 100+ Edible and Medicinal Plants
- Uruguay Libertarians And Their Civic Movement, Party
- System: Note Taking Success-College, Business...
- SNOPES.Com--Rumor Control
Join millions using Libertarian tools! We're the Official Lifestyle Blog of the LIO Co-editors for Supporters of the Libertarian International Organization & Movement with S.M.I.L.E. and self-empowerment tips and data. Libertarian-based lifestyles & benefits are spreading as Libs help people become free to choose. Most things here were illegal or heavily regulated til Libs got to work.
Get your daily idea, share your link at our Facebook...and look down the sidebars for your daily coupons, top news, and e-petitions to help.
Now live--and spread--Libertopia by enjoying, linking, sharing daily tools with friends!
Opinions are not necessarily those of LIO.
- 93,413 Unique Viewers Since 1/12
- Bulgarian Libs-- bit.ly/18RoUZt 1 day ago
- Libertarians--uh-oh.. New York City Council Moves Against 3D-Printed Guns betabeat.com/?p=89260 via @betabeat 1 day ago
- LIO What will Libertarians do about the last telegram, ha? July 13th: Tha Last Telegram betabeat.com/?p=89365 via @betabeat 1 day ago
- LIO: A free market reaction to Snowden? Codecademy Turns NSA Leak Into Ad for Digital Literacy! betabeat.com/?p=89400 via @betabeat 1 day ago
- I: Hi IQ? LIO wants to hear from you... Turn your SAT Score into an IQ Score p.ost.im/p/eWU3WE #Vocabulary via @SATcomVideo 3 days ago
- I: Bojomoi! Russia's anti-gay bill reflects rising homophobia via @globalpost - globalpost.com/dispatches/glo… 4 days ago
- M: Eminent Domain issues? Nicaragua OKs Chinese-made mega canal via @globalpost - globalpost.com/dispatch/news/… 4 days ago
- I: Book review: Education Free and Compulsory examiner.com/review/book-re… via @examinercom 4 days ago
- L: LIO Life extension at work | Voluntary Governance, Rights, Progress libertarianinternational.org/apps/blog/cate… via @wibiya 4 days ago
- M: Continuing... See our LIO article as well... How 3D Printers Are Reshaping Medicine soa.li/4Ew4zPc 4 days ago
- I: Oops... In Unanimous Vote, Russia Passes Bill Making It Illegal To Tell Kids Gay People Exist thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/russia-poised-… via @gaycivilrights 1 week ago
- Spread Libertopia! Please link to, share our site: twitter.com/LIBIntOrg ...thanks! 1 week ago
- LIO: Libertarians are...? LIO fan base now over 4 MM reflecting country, gender, ethnicity: 1/3rd in China, India; most women, bias to Hi-IQ 1 week ago
- RT @LibertyOpps: Apply today for your spot at Mises University 2013! You'll learn about #AustrianEconomics with @Mises http://t.co/neZlR4D3… 1 week ago
- RT @Econlib: RT @pcmagalhaes: "Shall Europeans elect their President?" Alberto Mingardi in EconLog: bit.ly/11B5RbZ 1 week ago
- RT @lewrockwell: Because There's No Free Market in Organs dld.bz/cEd8m 1 week ago
- RT @artcarden: Ronald Coase, call your office. What has (Local) Government Done to Our Ice Cream?, @amingardi @econlib. http://t.co/YuYciSI… 1 week ago
- RT @Liberationtech: How to secure & encrypt your email & other communications slate.com/blogs/future_t… by @rj_gallagher 1 week ago
- M: TED Blog--some bizarre takes on Libs...do comment: ted.com/search?cat=ss_…+ 1 week ago
Top 30 Tools
LIO COMMUNITY AT WORK>>
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- On Hiatus
- Vermont Medical Marihuana Passed
- US: GAO to Investigate Concerns on Mystery Government Weapons
- US, TN & PA: Libertarian Institute Activists For Liquor Privatization
- As LI Libertarians Lead Pot Legality, Right Says Stop Whining
- UK Libertarian Institute Activists Bombard Parliament On Gay Issue
- Gay Unions Status Update 2013-Analysis
- Ireland: Libertarians For Gay Referendum
- NZ Gay Legalization: Now Local Measures Discussed, Parliament Sings
- Uruguay: Libertarian Institute Activists in Gay Marriage Win
- Vision:What Your Group Will Look Like
- Budget Review Brainstorm Works
- Community Summit Example
- START & GROW YOUR GROUP–Summary
- 6 Ways to Build Your Libertarian Citizen Community
- Facilitator Group Underway
- Pinellas/Free State Projects 6 Year Status
- Pinellas Project Model Site Upgrades
- 2011: Pinellas Project In Brief
What Readers Know…
- Save Money Like A Libertarian!
- 500 Free Military Manuals…
- We’re Changing Our Ways…
- 5 Immortal Animals That Could Be YOU
- The Libertarian Truth on Income?
- Who’s the 1%? American Middle Class.
- Your Anti-Libertarian ( and Anti-Liberal) Award of the Month? Wonkette!
- What Do Libertarians Know That You Don’t? Your Libertarian Edge…
- Und I’m Learning Chinese, Says Wehrner von Braun…
- Alert! US Government Loves Your IRA…
- Ayn Rand Told MG To Set This Up
- Want to Build A Local Libertarian SMILE Community?
- Hey IRS! Target www.TheLibertarian.Info!
- End Junk Libertarianism! Use Our Categories. Today? Taxes!
- Manchester England, England…Manchester Liberal That Is…
- Privatized Nukes! Have You Missed Your Libertarian Edge?
- The #1 Tip For Being Successful Is…
- Music Libertarians Will Help See We’re Listening To…In 1000 Years
- Uruguay Libertarians And Their Civic Movement, Party
- *Life Development Thoughts From Dr. Timothy Leary
- LIO Fellows, Pro-Libertarians Created the Internet–Not Coercive Government, Which Tries To Tax and Suppress It
- S.T.E.M. or B.A.S.E.? Libertarians Work to Defend Humanities, Expand Terminology: For New Intellectuals
- Coalition To Extend Life on K St?
- Are They STILL Doing Life Extension Wrong?
- Hey, Mr. Spock! Lew Rockwell Is A Libertarian Who Helps All Live Long & Prosper
- Don’t Complain About The World If You Haven’t Joined Our E-Updates!!
- A 3-D Printer for Every Home?
- Join www.Libertarian-Institute.Info E-Group Now!
- Libertarian Idea of The Month: Open Border with Eco/Ethnic Preserves Ideas Spread
- Libertarian International Org Alone Defines Libertarianism…vs anti-Lib Nonsense of the Year?
- If you want to succeed, start a company instead of writing a resume
- Use Our Twitter!
- WESTERN VIEW is here!
- Lib Idea of The Month–No April Fool Joke For You: ‘New Intellectual’ Free…
- Have You Linked Us To Your Site, E-Group, E-mail Signature?
- What Do Libertarians Here Know That You Don’t? Top Stories of The Last Year:
- www.TheLibertarian.Info ….Slowly Getting Back to Daily Speed
- The Sayings Of Chairman Jeff…Our Libertarian Idea of the Month
- The Personality Color Quiz
- This Month: Caldo Gallego
- Quasi-Libertarian State Bank Concept Spreads
- Our Libertarian ‘Peer to Peer’ Revolution: Lib Idea of the Month
- www.TheLibertarian.Info Update
- Downsize Your Body! Again.
- Lib Idea of The Month: Growing World Travel This Year…
- Web Video of the Month: Mountain Alternate Currency
- OK, Libertarians: The Assault Rifle They Want To Ban
- 10 Countries That Ban Christmas
- A Healthy Vegetarian Christmas…
- Quiz: How Much Are You Worth To Facebook?
- Common Sense, The Rights of Man and Other Essential Writings of Thomas Paine
- Managing Oneself (Harvard Business Review Classics) (Harvard Business Review Classics)
- Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
- The Systems Bible: The Beginner's Guide to Systems Large and Small: Being the Third Edition of Systemantics
- The Psychology of Self-Esteem
- Principles of Efficient Thinking (CD set)
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0
- Games People Play
- How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: A Handbook for Personal Liberty
- Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand
- The Virtue of Selfishness
- Storefront Revolution: Food Co-ops and the Counterculture
- Take Back Your Government: A Practical Handbook for the Private Citizen Who Wants Democracy to Work
- The Global Activists' Manual: Acting Locally to Transform the World
- The Law
- The Voluntary City: Choice, Community, and Civil Society
- Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics
- Capitalism and Freedom
- Libertarianism: A Primer
- Chili’s: Free Full Size Flatbread Ending Soon
- Salmon Potato Cakes Made from Canned Salmon
- Sprouts Deals Week of 6/19
- Target Deals Week of 6/16
- Free One Year Subscription to Ladies Home Journal
- Jamba Juice: Sixteen Size Smoothie for $2
- 3 Free Music Downloads When You Buy $6+ of Scott® Products at Dollar General
- The Best Free Stuff This Week – Father’s Day Edition
- Boston Market: BOGO BBQ Ribs Meal
- Free Sample of Seventh Generation Hydrating Skin Boosting Serum